Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Lauryn Hill Talks About Rock the Bells and Updating Her Classics


MTV got the special honor of speaking to Ms. Hill aftr her set at NYC's Rock The Bells. I'm happy to hear her explain herself and these videos give a better understanding of where her head is at right now. I understand that she might get bored with her classics (though she has hardly performed them), I still would have liked to sing along during the show. At the same time, it was an honor to just be there and hear her randomly belt out some melodies during her mostly hardcore set (she says "Jazz-like," but it felt a little more like grunge). Anyway, listen to what she had to say about the show and her performances
Lauryn Hill calls Rock the Bells "something special," and says she had to be part of the lineup.


"There's been such a long period of time where I haven't been able to communicate where my mind is, where my consciousness is, where my ideas are," she told MTV News on Saturday. "I have to upgrade them a bit so that they're still exciting and fresh and they're new. There's something almost jazz-like the way I approach performances. I'm not sure if the audience really understands. We need, or at least I need, a certain amount of spontaneity, a certain amount of improvisation every show. I might have gotten spoiled from the Fugee days. We used to improvise a lot. It kept it so fresh and exciting. I need that. I need that improvisational, almost jazz-like improvisational dynamic when I'm onstage. It keeps it so exciting. It's that unknown, that literal X factor that makes every show something different — something unique and something I want to continue to do."

Also, Lauryn spoke with Toure for Fuse Tv which will air Wednesday, September 1 at 11 pm ET on Fuse's weekly "Hip Hop Shop."

No comments:

Post a Comment